Day Trip to Birmingham for the UKPA Big Meet Planner Event

Sometimes super duper cool things happen to me. Like the time my best friend and I flew to Vegas for just dinner. Or the time I got to contribute some craft projects for a book... This time I was blessed with an invitation to attend the biggest planner event in the UK before I had even moved there. What an amazing experience! I can’t even begin to describe how great it was to be at the UK Planner Addict “Big Meet” in Birmingham! And after the meetup, was equally spectacular! I joined Lovey, who had come along to explore the rest of the city. Here’s an hourly, play by play of our first day trip, along with pictures:

5:30-Alarm goes off and I’m almost certain we’re going to miss the bus. If we miss the bus, we’ll miss the train. Inwardly panicking.

6:30-We made it on the bus and hoping we’re not late to the train station.

7:30- Train departs Picadilly station. We’re sitting in backward facing seats even though I booked forward-facing. Pretty sure that at this point Lovey and I are going to get motion sickness.

8:30-Almost time to get off and we’re happy neither of us are dizzy. We actually had a gorgeous ride with sweeping, countryside views! Wow!

9:30-After Yelping some breakfast restaurants in the area, turns out they’re all closed (even though website hours state otherwise) or not geo-tagged correctly. Finally we find a random place and have a full English breakfast with tea for £4. We’re terribly impressed since the food here tends to be a little pricey.
10:30-Lovey and I part ways. He heads back to the city center and I head to the direction of the event. It’s raining and we only have one umbrella. Of course!

11:30- All the ladies (me included) make their way into the venue and attempt to find our seats. Once settled we calmly sift through our sponsor bags. Haha! Wow! So much goodness!
12:30- Listened to a great keynote speech, by special guest and Kikki K. Founder, Kristina Karlsson. (I got my first, ring-bound planner from Kikki K .)
1:30- A time of shopping and eating yummy treats begins.  Also taking selfies with creative girls and UK planner royalty! And BONUS—Finding 3 other Americans there.
2:30- Walking back to meet Lovey and it's still raining. About half way there I realize that I’m walking uphill and my boots are super slippery and grip-less. Yikes!

3:30- Lovey and I start exploring Birmingham. The Library of Birmingham offers almost 360 degrees of city views! (Definitely my favorite.)




4:30- We have dinner at a charming pub by the canal, The Malt House. It’s a little pricey, so we split a sampler. Also my first time trying mushy peas. I didn’t realize they came with our order and I thought it was guacamole! Ha!

5:30- More walking and sightseeing.
6:30- Lovey is hungry again, so he gets his favorite, chips and curry. 

7:30- Board on the correct train after worrying whether or not we were on the right platform.

8:30- Four gentlemen get on with bags full of meat pies, Scotch eggs, and beer. They are loud, funny, and super upset that an old couple took their reserved seats. They discussed their frustration for at least 10 miles (after the couple got off at their stop). We were terribly amused by the whole thing, because like I said, they were FUN-NY!

9:30- On our way home on the bus. Standing room only.


10:20- Finally home! What a day!

Thanks for reading friends!

3 comments

  1. I'm so glad you made it to the library - it's one of my favourite parts of Birmingham!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know about this meet planner event. Couple of months ago, I arranged my best friend’s office meet at a grand and best located meeting space San Francisco. It was quite a grand event and we had excellent time at this event.

    ReplyDelete

I generally reply by email, unless you are a No-Comment-Reply Blogger.
Thank you for making my day!
Love,
Janette