What's a Pocket Letter (and more FAQs)?


Pocket Letters have taken off with a running start! More like a mad dash! A few nights ago I contacted about 5 (or so) girls asking if they would participate in an exchange of the Pocket Letters I created. They agreed and I was excited just to get 5 people participating, but after a few more posts on Instagram about this new type of "letter writing", more people expressed interest and started making their own.


Now there's a Facebook group , a growing Instagram hashtag, a popular blog post, and my most viewed YouTube video to date. I'm so thankful! Office Max is definitely confused as to why a bunch of people rushed there to buy baseball trading card inserts this weekend, right? I just can't believe the positive reception on this little idea of mine.

Watch this video (or read this post) to learn what a Pocket Letter is, how to get involved, and ideas to make your own.

It's only been a few days and there are already a few repeatedly asked questions that have come up. I'm going to answer a few here.

How do I get started?
-First, you'll want to create a free account at www.pocketletterpals.com. This allows you to connect with other people who want to swap these kinds of letters. Then you'll want to purchase your supplies and  start decorating!

What type of inserts are these?
-These are standard baseball trading card inserts. They are 8.5x11 (inches).

Do these hold Project Life cards?
-No. The dimensions on the pockets are 2.5 x 3.5 inches.  I used some PL cards in some of my inserts, but I had to trim them down.

Do I have to decorate both sides of the insert?
-It's up to you! Be creative!

Is this only a one-time swap?
-No. You can connect with others and see if they want to penpal with you in this format permanently. Or if you can't take on anymore penpals, you can always just do a one-time exchange which is what many are doing.

Is this open Internationally?
-YES! Of course! :) As long as you find someone who wants to swap with you, you can participate.

Do I have to use these inserts?
-Yes and no. You can use other sizes. I just thought it'd be best to use this particular size.  I really hope that everyone uses the baseball card inserts because they store well in a standard binder. Also I've seen business card inserts which are similar and can also fit a standard binder. Feel free to use those too!

Can I swap with you, Janette?
-Honestly, I'd swap with everyone if I had an endless supply of postage and time. Right now, I'm not taking anymore Pocket Letter Pals.


(If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask them in the comment section below!)

Thanks again for everyone's kind words about this idea of mine. There are so many people who inspire me, it's great to inspire others in return!

3 comments

  1. Here here... great post.... hopefully all will read and hv their questions answered.... I'm excited to start ... my head is already swirling with some fun ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaaay to accepting business card holder inserts as well. I can definitely get my hands on those here in Cayman but ill look for the baseball ones first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely that in the digital age, real letter writing has had something of a revival in pocket letters. They do look beautiful and must be a delight to send as well as to receive. You can't beat receiving a real letter in the mail. I hope this art form survives the test of time and many people get involved.

    Sherita @ Astute Promotions

    ReplyDelete

I generally reply by email, unless you are a No-Comment-Reply Blogger.
Thank you for making my day!
Love,
Janette