My Snail Mail Story


If you follow me on Instagram, you may have noticed that at the end of summer I suddenly started featuring a ton of snail mail slash penpal posts. Are you curious to know how that came about? It's a quick little story I want to share with you. Why? I'd like to encourage you to pick up a few penpals too. It's been a really rewarding experience (for the most part) and I've learned a lot along the way. From making my own stickers for my stationery to learning the nuances of mail tags and international customs forms, I want to share how it all began and like I mentioned, encourage you to begin your penfriend journey.

Ok, so here's how it started. Somehow I stumbled upon @lettersfrommadison. (Her account features mostly letters she designs and sends globally.) I was intrigued by her feed because she was sending the most GORGEOUS letters to anyone who asked. I thought, "What a generous soul! I want to do that too!" I contacted her immediately and asked if I could send her something because I was so inspired by the whole thing. Soon after I sent her parcel, I realized there were some Instagram friends and longtime blog friends that I also wanted to send things to.

So it began. I went to Michaels and bought some craft paper, washi tape, and pretty pens. I started sharing my snail mail on Instagram and hashtagging it with #snailmail #snailmailrevival, and #happymail. The next thing I knew, random people were asking to be my penpals. The rest, as they say, is history! I now have about 20 penpals of all ages spread across the globe! From Australia to the UK and from California to New York! It's been so fun getting to know ladies from around the world. Plus isn't the best thing in life getting mail that's not bills or junk?? Yes! It is!

I know you may think having that many penpals is a bit excessive, but my letter writing system works pretty well. I'll be sharing more about that including some helpful tips on how to be a successful and effective penpal slash penfriend, so stay tuned! If there's anything you want to ask me specifically, please do so in the comments below! Also, you should follow me on Instagram if you haven't already! I love connecting with blog friends there:)

Thanks for reading!

1 comment

  1. What a nice post Janette:)
    Looking forward to the next post, cause I'm curious how you organize everything. I could need som ideas:)
    Your second letter is done and I'm putting it in the mail today.

    / Jeanette

    http://jiaslife.blogg.se (my new blog)

    ReplyDelete

I generally reply by email, unless you are a No-Comment-Reply Blogger.
Thank you for making my day!
Love,
Janette