Bookish Thoughts: The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

Remember my "7 Books in 7 Days" reading spree? Well, during that week I also read  The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (2014 Pulitzer Prize Fiction Winner), except I didn't finish it in time... It's a LONG book and it's also long-winded. The plot was entertaining, but I wanted it to be over 300 pages sooner. The main character was draining and his thoughts weren't so much complex as they were exhausting. Maybe I'm just lazy and can't appreciate the constant streams of consciousness or the detailed descriptions of EVERY. LITTLE. THING!  I honestly felt the plot was hindered by this. But at the same time, I can't be dismissive because it's obviously intentional. The imagery set the mood, not only in your head, but in your soul. You could feel the words creeping into you.

So do I recommend this book for you to read? Sure. Why not. If you have time, go for it. Would I read this book again? Uh, no. I'm good. But please make sure to let me know your thoughts if you do.
Goldfinch  



































Do you want to see a post unrelated to reading? YES | NO

1 comment

  1. This book sounds like it doesn't fall under the light summer reading category! I'm not a fan of overly descriptive writing that drags on... It's pretty telling you wanted it to be done 300 pages sooner, yikes. I probably will skip reading this.

    Emmett - Spell & The Gypsy Collective Giveaway

    ReplyDelete

I generally reply by email, unless you are a No-Comment-Reply Blogger.
Thank you for making my day!
Love,
Janette