7 Books in 7 Days (SPOILER FREE)

Here's the story of how I read 7 books in 7 days... This past January I was reading like a fiend. February rolled around and work got busy. Suddenly it was May and I found myself with extra free time. Then one night a few weeks back I went on a late night Kindle book shopping spree (That one-click buy option on Amazon should be called the "Fund Fizzler"). And last week, while my boss was on vacation (work was painfully slow), I decided it was time to feast on my literary loot! By the time I was on my third book (last Wednesday), I decided it was possible to read one book a day. (I also thought it was entirely possible to read Goldfinch in a day. lol I was grossly mistaken but only because it's hard to judge a book's girth and length on an E-reader.) I managed the challenge just fine! Here's a list of what I read in no particular order:





***NO SPOILERS, OR REVIEWS. JUST THOUGHTS! PROMISE!***

Eleanor & Park
I thought this story was going to be a bit on the corny side. First love? Misfits? School bus rides with stock characters (mean girls & jocks) in tow? But it was cute and the ending was unexpected. I'm looking forward to the movie which is being produced by Pixar.

Aristotle & Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
I judged this book by its cover...and its price! ($5.32 for a cover with pretty font? SOLD!) And while the thoughts and sentiments the main character felt were completely relatable (Mexican youth growing up in a family with secrets and older siblings ie Janette), I felt the ending was... forced?

Where'd You Go Bernadette?
This is the first book since Catch 22 and Diary of a Nobody that triggered the giggles repeatedly. Literal full blown, belly laughs! I loved it! The series of emails, correspondence, receipts, etc. was a bit confusing at first, but the confusion cleared and transformed itself into delight. Probably my favorite read of the week.

Fault in Our Stars
I usually shy away from best sellers, but I wanted to know what all the fuss was about. And OH. MY. WORD! I was in tears from page 5 to the last punctuation mark (which was a period, in case you're wondering. Haha!). Mostly I was sad for Isaac. His story, while sparsely interwoven throughout, was personally the most touching. Don't ask me why! I pretty much cried every time he spoke. ("Keep yourself together, Janette!! He's just playing a video game!!" Haha!) But seriously, I had to keep reassuring Lovey that my uncontrollable midnight sobbing was "nothing".
via

The 5 People You Meet in Heaven
I don't know why but this book was highly predictable. It was enjoyable, but I just knew from the get-go the direction the author was taking. Once the protagonist met his first person in Heaven, I knew who the rest were going to be. It was all very obvious.

Shadow of the Galilean
This book was recommended by Lovey himself! I was instantly hesitant because Lovey only recommends dense theology books. But he assured me I'd enjoy this book because it was historic fiction (my favorite genre). And boy does that man know me! The story is about a first century Jew, Andreas, trying to make sense of  the person and message of Jesus of Nazareth. The author paints an eye-opening tale (using extra-Biblical and primary sources) about the religious and political climate during Jesus's day. SO GOOD!

Looking for Alaska
That John Green sure has a way with words so I wanted to read this book after I read Fault in Our Stars. Truth be told, I didn't really like the characters... But  in the end, I guess it's about making sense of life, and love, and loss and sorrow and the volatility of it all.... "finding Alaska" But no "womp womps" from me, I like Mr. Green's writing style and look forward to reading more of his work.

Have you read any of these titles? Share your thoughts with me! Tell me if you loved it! Tell me if you hated it! Tell me if you made it through the briefly mentioned, Goldfinch (which the half I read during that week should count for 2 books. No joke. lol)


Want to peruse another post about other books I've read? YES | NO




1 comment

  1. Wow, 7 books in 7 days- that's so impressive! I loved Eleanor & Park and The Fault in Our Stars. I thought both were SO good. I also agree with you about Looking for Alaska- Alaska wasn't my favorite character but I still enjoyed reading it. I read The Goldfinch a couple months back and it definitely took me a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete

I generally reply by email, unless you are a No-Comment-Reply Blogger.
Thank you for making my day!
Love,
Janette