Chalk Art

You may remember that I love to doodle. Doodle. Doodle. Yankee doodle! It's fun but I'm barely ever motivated to do it. A few weeks ago I bought myself some colorful chalk to attempt letter art on a chalkboard frame I purchased at Target (more on that soon). It didn't go as planned because all I could find was sidewalk chalk and it was difficult to manipulate on such a small scale. Instead I ended up giving my chalk box to my little nieces who drew up a frenzy! They kept drawing mermaids and I was inspired to try it too.
In my defense this was my first attempt at drawing something realistic. Honestly, I usually stick to rainbows and hearts when it comes to chalk art. It's safe and easy ... But there was something sooo relaxing about sitting on the warm sidewalk with my nieces doodling by my side. I had to try something beyond hearts.  And I'm glad I did. I'm pretty impressed with that nose! The rest? Not so much. But there's a story behind it.

My mermaid Voda, which means "water" in Russian (long back story there), was in a boating accident (she got a little too close) and fractured her cheekbone last May. It was a sad day because she never had surgery.  Couldn't afford it. (Medical insurance for accidents on international waters is brutal). When it healed it sort of sagged a little on the right. So there's that. But V is always looking on the bright side. She'll tell you herself that she doesn't want to be pitied. I mean, she still has a killer bod and gorgeous hair, right? What more could a girl want? ;)
Anywho, I'm looking forward to more summer days of art and chalky little legs. (So cute!) And in case you didn't know, the drawing on the right is me. You could tell by the tangerine lipstick ;)

4 comments

  1. I am super impressed by your chalk drawing skills. The most I can do is a sun with a smiley face. :)

    xo,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am super jealous of this! It's Ariel!!! All I can draw are stick figures and sad looking flowers. HAHA!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Voda looks pretty amazing! too bad about her accident. You've got some talent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This looks so amazing! I've never seen prettier chalk colours! ;)))
    xxx,
    Lilla
    http://lilycupcake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I generally reply by email, unless you are a No-Comment-Reply Blogger.
Thank you for making my day!
Love,
Janette