I Need Girl Lessons


I've never been very good at being a girl. I've always been a tomboy at heart and prided myself in having a mean throwing arm and being able to get ready and out the door in 15 minutes (including shower). I blame it on my two older brothers. They were a bunch of hooligans but being around them was a blast. If I wanted to hang out with them, I had to be tough...I had to be a boy. Haha! All this toughness meant that throughout my younger years I never learned or concerned myself with girly things. I just did the bare minimum. My beauty regimen consisted of a bar of Dove soap, Aveeno lotion, and tinted moisturizer (I got better about it, but not much)... Shaving gel? Why? Moisturizer? That's for girly girls! Exfoliating facial cleanser? What'd you call me??! I considered all these things for high maintenance girls ONLY. And that was the last thing I wanted to be.

A few months ago, I realized that being high maintenance isn't bad. At all. I mean, facials, hair treatments, extensive skin care regimens, they're pricey, yes. But they're all good for you in the long run... Especially, if you have the right products. Wow! I'm not even sure how I got into this mindset that it's bad to concern yourself with such things. Seriously, how did that happen? In retrospect having this perspective was such a disservice to myself and my body. For too long I've neglected my skin, my hair, and everything in between. But I want to be better about it.

The thing is, I know absolutely NOTHING about how to do any of this stuff.  Where do I begin?? I need girl lessons. And I need them now!  Recently, I've turned to YouTube as a resource and have been checking out different videos on skin care routines, makeup routines, etc. I learn something new every day. I've also learned not all YouTubers are created equal, so I'm trying to be careful about who I get my recommendations from. And if I can get help from YOU, well that would be the BEST thing of all! If you have any beauty tips, YouTuber recs, or things that I MUST ABSOLUTELY KNOW about being a girl, please share your wisdom below! I will also be sharing what I'm trying out on this new venture in my life so stay tuned.




4 comments

  1. Haha aw I never would have guessed you were a tomboy! I wouldn't describe myself as one but I too have felt a bit clueless when it comes to skin and makeup stuff. I've just kind of learned things by trial and error (rather a lot of error), or YouTube. Love YouTube.

    Well, in terms of beauty products, I really love Garnier BB cream. It gives great coverage but is so much lighter than foundation, and comes in formulas for normal skin or combination skin. It's been such a nice thing to wear with the weather being so hot here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My regime for years has been Oil of Olay (there is no oil in any of their products)face cleanser and a good scrubby wash cloth (nothing exfoliates your face as well without damaging the tender skin around the eyes) and Oil of Olay moisturizer (the original). In the last few years I have added Neutrogena Oil-Free Eye Make-up Remover and Oil of Olay Regenerist Eye Lifting Serum. I don't use deodorant soap anymore, I use a moisturizing body wash. I use hair conditioner as a shaving cream. You don't need much and the razor glides. I have very dry skin and the hair conditioner helps my legs not be so dried out.

    For hair, a gentle shampoo and good conditioner. I use L'Oreal products.

    Find a good moisturizer/hand cream after washing your hands. If you get too much then rub it up your arms. I use plain ole fashioned Jergens. I know there are heavier hand creams but I don't like the sticky feeling. Original Jergens has a really nice scent (Cherry-Almond) that won't overpower your cologne or linger and it doesn't leave a sticky residue.

    OK I'm done. If you want to know what else I use just let me know. I'm not a girly-girl either (and I was a clumsy tom-boy) but my mother had the greatest skin so I try to do what she did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you! Everything you said is how I feel. I didn't wear makeup till early 20's, and I still sometimes am too lazy to put it on. I hope you are well! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You tube is definitely a good way and I think there are some blogs that have some good tips too. Lately I've been using Burts Bees Cleansers and I love them!

    ReplyDelete

I generally reply by email, unless you are a No-Comment-Reply Blogger.
Thank you for making my day!
Love,
Janette