Blood is Thicker...


I've been meaning to write this post for a while...Cause I've been thinking about this topic for a long time. You know that saying? Blood is thicker than water? Yes. I finally agree. Yesterday my sister came to visit Lovey and I (with a hoard of goods which I want to share later) and we were talking about a situation that occured a few years back (which I completely forgot about...story of my life). It was about a friend that snubbed me after I scored and shared a super sweet deal for her and one of her family members. At the time, it didn't seem like a big deal to me... But my sister is not one to forget such things (which can also be a bad thing). Anywho... 20 year old Janette forgot this incident because friends were my LIFE back then... But now? A few years wiser, I realize that I would've knocked some sense into myself.

When my sister was retelling the story, it didn't bother me. Even now. I don't care if I got snubbed by my pal. It's in the past and I'm not upset. What got me is the fact that I ended up snubbing my sister the same day. I picked my friend over my sister. Ugh! It hit home and got me thinking about the value I've placed on friends over the years... It highlighted how much I've neglected my own family. I've invested in the wrong people...to a fault. And I don't want to do that anymore.

I cringe to think about the elaborate parties I've thrown for friends over the years (They were fun, no doubt..and I only regret about 2% of them lol) But you want to know how many parties I've hosted that were solely for my family? 2. Just 2. And don't even get me started on birthday and or Xmas gifts! Only the best for my cherished pals (most which are now long gone). My family was always second place because I figured they'd be around to make it up to them..And therein is the fact that I've overlooked. They are ALWAYS there. They have ALWAYS been there...And it's time for me to treat them with the respect they deserve.

Does this mean I'm defriending every single person that isn't family? No way jose! I have a small handful of friends that I cherish and hope to be friends with por vida... But my focus has shifted... Family is #1. You know, now that I think of it...Maybe this isn't about old friends long gone, or valuing friends over family.. Maybe it's about me finally becoming less selfish and self absorbed... It's kind of sad it's taken this long...


What are your thoughts on this? Any? Have you come to this conclusion? Do you get along with your family?

1 comment

  1. well you know a bit of my family back-story and it's estranged ways :( i'd give anything to have a harmonious connection, blood hasn't been too thick on this side of the tracks but i loved hearing about your experience. it lends hope in my heart and also it's pretty incredible and cool how at such a young age yourself, you've already defined some more deal breakers plus what truly matters to you.

    that's all anyone can really hope for within their minds/hearts/souls. and sweetheart, that is one heck of a beautiful self portrait to accompany this stellar post. xo ♥

    ReplyDelete

I generally reply by email, unless you are a No-Comment-Reply Blogger.
Thank you for making my day!
Love,
Janette