It's Later Than You Think.

 It was a bittersweet weekend. As I mentioned last week, my family is in town. It's been grand, but  in between the guffaws, inside jokes, and reciting Nacho Libre lines, I couldn't shake some sadness away. I found out recently that one of my sissies is moving far, far, far, far away. Like, "we may only see each other once a year if we're lucky" far away.Yeah. I'm bummed. So as you can imagine, I was trying to spend as much time with the fambam as possible.

And it's been a little learning experience. There I am with  my nieces, taking a walk, holding hands... And I think to myself, "Wow. Right now I'm just walking...  Enjoying the sunset. Enjoying the breeze. Nothing special. Just walking." That's all it is. At. That. Moment. Yet, in a few weeks...months...years...that moment will have metamorphosed itself into a memory. A treasured memory of holding tiny hands on a perfect spring evening. So I spent my time with my family with this mentality: Moments become memories. So make them good!

It's safe to say that I lived deliberately and fully this weekend...conscious of the fact that I wasn't just living mere moments. I made the most of it...I made the most of everything! I drove over to my mom's (which is a ways from my house) about 4 times this last week, not caring for gas, time, or money. I drove over just to have a 30 minute lunch with everyone (my drive there is just as long) and then went back home when we were done.

I guess that's why I had such a lovely time. I really and truly tried to redeem my time with everyone. Who knows when we'll all be together like that again??! It could be years. Anywho.. I guess it all boils down to this.. Looking back on the past few days I realize that I was exhausted the whole time and spent waayy too much money... But it was all worth it. I really wish I could live my life like that more...always. I want to! Truly, life is precious, and if you are conscious of it and treat it as such.. it will become just that...Amazing!

Enjoy yourself! It's later than you think!

11 comments

  1. I love your "moments become memories" realization. That's basically the philosophy behind my photog business! Some moments may seem insignificant now but they grow to become your most treasured memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh that is SO sad! But I'm so glad you were able to spend the weekend with family and enjoy them! Thank goodness for skype and all the other means of communication our modern technology supplies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really hard to live in the moment! I'm glad you were able to make the most of your family's visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where is she moving too? I have 3 siblings out of state that I don't see more than once a year. Sometimes it is really depressing. Especially miss my older sister and her three little ones. I've only seen my nephew once:( and he was only 6 weeks old and now he is 1!! BUT she is coming to visit us next month! Sorry I still haven't replied. I hope things that we talked about are getting done! haha ;) I hope you have a great day. BTW how far from you is Berkeley? I've been thinking of driving down to southern CA on the PCH(if that even runs from north to south haha) I just know I love that road. I'm meeting Jamie! Hopefully. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, friend! Make them count! That picture is just absolutely presh. You better print that off and frame it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that you enjoyed time with your family!! I have thoughts like that sometimes, when I'm with all my family and we are just thoroughly enjoying each others company, knowing that it'll be a sweet memory I'll look back on :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, so sorry to hear your sister is moving so far away! That must be difficult.

    I love the part about your day becoming a precious memory. Love love love that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh man, learning the lesson of enjoying each moment? you'd almost need a lifetime!! that'd defeat the purpose, now wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was going to come down here and comment about how bittersweet it is knowing your time is limited, and my best friend just left me.. to go back to South Carolina after such a perfect week... and that said best friend is commenting above me.. Friggin Twiggy.

    I hope your heart finds rest, distance is a real winner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Make them count! Love this! Trying to do the same!
    Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This made me so so sad! Cause you know exactly how much I can relate! Praying for you sweet lady!

    ReplyDelete

I generally reply by email, unless you are a No-Comment-Reply Blogger.
Thank you for making my day!
Love,
Janette