Love & Jacaranda Trees



My mom is a woman of words. Me? I’m not much of a talker. I’m more like my Dad. But my mama?! She can talk to anyone for hours. Interesting, funny, stimulating conversation too. I’ve taken her to BBQs where I didn’t know anyone for this very reason. In fact, all my siblings do that! She’s a peach! Anyway. My mom gave me some advice before I got married. (And she should know. My parents are coming up on their 50th anniversary soon! WOW! Crazy, right?) One of the top 5 tips she gave me was this: When your husband gets an idea or spontaneously suggests that you guys go somewhere unique or special, don’t deny him. Drop what you’re doing and GO! Sounds pretty simple, right? But I cannot tell you how many times I’ve turned down Lovey when he wants to go on an adventure. COUNTLESS! But I didn’t do that yesterday. Here’s what happened.

Lovey called me on his way home and told me he’d found a street canopied with Jacaranda trees that was a mile long. One mile of purple pretties casting blissful shadows upon an old, historic neighborhood. Dreamy, right? He said he wanted to take me on a walk there because “he knew I would love it”.  I responded with, “Um...I’m cleaning the bathroom at the moment. (DESPISED CHORE OF MY LIFE) I’m disgusting. I need to shower. I’m too tired. Just come home.” And when I hung up, my mother’s words resonated in my ears. "Drop what you're doing and go!" So I called Lovey back...


We went. (After I showered, of course.) And you know what? It was perfect! Not so much because of the beautiful trees, or the dreamy sidewalks sprinkled with purple petals... Nope, it was amazing because my husband had thought of me and wanted to show me something he knew I would like. How CUTE is that? It’s the simple things, right? 

So thanks Lovey for taking me, and thanks Mama for being in my head. I had a great time!


Happy Monday friends!

9 comments

  1. How Wonderful, Janette! I love that Lovey found this place and thought of you. I'm so glad that you decided to be spontaneous and go. Sometimes duty calls, but i have found that taking these opportunites to be together and make a memory are much more important than chores. Besides, the dirty bathroom will still be there when you get done, right? UGH. Unfortunately. Thank goodness for wise Mama's and wonderful advice. I love the photos! Looks like a movie set...so dreamy!! Hope your week is fantastic, friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like me.. I talk.. alot. :) haha.

    x.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, that is too cute @__@ !!
    I should suggest more adventures in my relation ship :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reason #456,081 that I adore you. This post is so great. And I totally agree! Kyle has some kind of date planned for July 12th and even though it's a month away and I immediately wanted to know what exactly needed to be planned so far in advance, I just said, "Okay. We'll do it." Apparently it has something to do with the 60th anniversary of Singing in the Rain...? I sometimes find myself wanting to control things but the second I let go, and let Kyle take me on an adventure, I am SO GLAD that I did! Thanks for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the sweetest thing! That is some great advice from your mom and I am going to make sure I keep it in mind for sure :) Lovely!

    Bekah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Favorite trees ever. I love when the ground is littered with their pretty purple petals! I definitely need to investigate if one would survive in my yard. Because seriously.


    Also, that advice is amazing. So, so sweet! And happy 50th anniversary to your wonderful parents! Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute post! Great advice from your mom and sweet of your husband to think to take you there :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this post and I don't go on random adventures enough, really should do it more :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww!!! What a sweet thing to do! Glad you went ahead and went and got that quality time with your guy! And those trees!!!

    ReplyDelete

I generally reply by email, unless you are a No-Comment-Reply Blogger.
Thank you for making my day!
Love,
Janette